April 26, 2007

uh oh....

I’ve been thinking about something, I’m a year shy of graduating, and I don’t want to do what my degree is intended for… what’s wrong with me?

I’m getting a degree in education, and I don’t want to be a teacher. I’ve been feeling REALLY awkward in field experiences, like something didn’t fit. I have come to discover that what didn’t fit is me. So, here I am going to the greatest teacher college in the state (and one of the best in the nation), getting this ‘highly coveted’ degree in education, and I don’t want to use it. I don’t ever think I could be called Miss Jorgensen every day – it would drive me bonkers, I don’t think I could grade papers for the rest of my life. I’m sure that I would be burnt out after 6 months. I want a job that I love – one that I can go to every day and be excited to be there.

I’ve started to think about using it for less ‘formal’ education, such as the interpretive activities at state and national parks, or working as an education coordinator in a museum, or even going into boy scouts professionally. I’m beginning to think this will fit my personality MUCH better. I can still do the science I love and work with children, with out all the things I don’t want from being a teacher.

Just the random ramblings of a education major that is feeling out of place.

No comments: