... Even if you're not the one praying them...
So, normally I am this totally over the top, happy-go-lucky, bouncing off the wall, on top of the world kind of girl. This is the case for probably 95-99% of the time. But this means I do have my down moments. And usually when I’m down I’m REALLY down – it would seem that I am incapable of having a middle of the road emotion (what’s the fun in that though??)
Recently I’ve been depressed (and really down – even though I’ve tried REALLY hard not to show it to the people around me.) I hid my depression because I have a character to keep up with my co-workers and students (well, students mostly). But the people that know and love me best had picked up on it. It was hard to admit it, but I have been depressed because I’ve been lonely.
But anyway I digress, I know that Mom and many of her friends have been praying that I’ll find a place to worship with people my own age. That I’d find a church that would have ministries that I could get involved in.
I’ve been going to a church called Saint Matthew’s and it is a great church – it just didn’t have people my age. And since it was so small, it would mean that I would most likely feel compelled to join every ministry the church had.
After my amazing worship session with the river – I heard a commercial for a young adult singles ministry in the Omaha area on my drive back to the apartment. They were having a hayrack ride that evening – I needed sleep that evening so I didn’t go. However, amazingly I heard the commercial while at a stop light and was able to jot down the website. Figured I’d check them out later and see what else they offered when I got home.
The second amazing thing, I was stopped at yet another stop light by a Lutheran church called Rejoice Lutheran – at the time I didn’t know if it was ELCA, LCMS or what ever – but I wrote down the name and googled it when I got home. It is an ELCA church (sweet!!) and it has a young adult (23-35) bible study on Tuesday nights (SUPER SWEET!!)
I was also able to check out the website for the ministry that was putting on the hayrack ride. They are called Great Adventure Ministry (GAMe). They have a bible study on Monday nights – and they are studying Romans!! Plus they have a dinner and worship before. (WOOT!! have to love a night where you don't have to cook)
I went to Rejoice on Sunday, it was amazing to worship among people of varying ages. From younger than me to my age to people enjoying their ‘golden years’. It reminds me a lot of my parents’ church – partly because of size, but mostly because of the people. I am excited to find out more! What’s better I got a letter in the mail on Tuesday from them saying “hello and thank you for worshiping with us”
Monday I went to GAMe and met some people while eating dinner – was put into the same small group as one of them. (He’s cool – he reminds me of many of my ‘adopted youngins’) IT WAS AWESOME!!! I GOT HUGS!!!! (if you don’t know me – I thrive on hugs) On my way home I was so happy I had to call Tanner and Emily (the two people that understood the depth of my depression and how much I needed that) Emily got to hear me cry my first tears of joy since I moved to Omaha! It was a great night! I CAN’T WAIT for next week! (Oh I got an email from one of my group leaders checking in and seeing how I was doing, inviting me to other activities they are putting on … AWESOME!!!)
Who would have thought that there is a blessing in red lights! Maybe Omaha isn’t so bad after all…
As a post script: I have an amazing cousin!! She also knew how down I've been (and she's been in my shoes) she sent me a package that I got today - a beautiful prayer shawl!! It is so lovely (and warm) I love you Joycie!!
1 comment:
Hey beautiful. Remember there is One who knows and identifies with the depths of your despair more than Tanner or I ever can. He allowed you to experience those things, didn't He? Perhaps to more readily celebrate your blessings?
Post a Comment