So I have come to the conclusion - if you're in a situation and you don't want to tell anyone about it, chances are it's not a good situation to be in.
Take a romantic relationship for example: if your gut reaction is to hide it from the most important people in your life - why are you considering it? Don't you want people to be happy for you? Isn't a dating relationship one that should be presented? (Within reason of course!)
Then what happens as the relationship goes on - and you still don't tell people. Well it always gets harder to keep a secret longer (it's kinda like lies - constantly covering up). Then when it all goes south - like it will - how do you tell people who didn't even know you were 'with' someone?
How about looking at moving to a new area: If you're considering it - your friends should know. Sometimes someone outside of you needs to really question your motives. What (who?) are you moving for? Is this move purely emotional?
James 5:16 says that when we sin we should tell one another so that we can pray for each other and be healed.
This is what I have determined - I need someone to be accountable to. I need someone to share things with. Thank God for my dear friend Emily - who I have claimed as the one I talk to about everything. (Within reason, obviously I'm not going to give her a play-by-play of lunch in the teachers' lounge.)
So this side note to my friends - don't be surprised if she knows about you when I make you meet her!
No comments:
Post a Comment