So, it has been six months since the broken engagement. And I am in a much better place than I thought I would be. That being said, with Dan I ignored some of the things on this list. I think I personally need to revisit this - while the list has not changed some of the emphasis has.
The Suitor List - Revisited.
First and foremost he has to have a strong relationship with God. He will need to challenge me in my walk with God. He needs to know scripture and encourage me to learn and memorize scripture. Going to church with out complaint is required. Changes will be made in purple and my current comments will be italicized.
He needs to guard his heart and mind and eyes from things that would distract him from God and his future family. He needs to take care of himself both emotionally and physically. There is a renewed emphasis on this one. I think this is the one I ignored the most.
I love baggage, as in duffel bags, not emotional kind. I need someone who is going to be emotionally healthy and not drag me down.
He needs to be a leader - someone who will be able to lead and direct me. Someone I can follow and trust.
He needs to have a mind of his own, with his own goals and dreams. I am a stubborn person and need some one who will ‘fight’ with me. He will also need to be open and honest with me. But someone that expects me to do the same. I need someone that will call me out when I do something wrong, and encourage me to do what’s right. I don't want someone that I will bulldoze over.
I like nerdy guys – smart and doesn’t shy away from intellectual conversation. He will need to be a good listener… and hear me all the way through.
He will have to have a good relationship with his family. Relationships with parents and siblings, as well as grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are all important. (Ask me about how amazing some of my cousins are and you’ll never get me to shut up!) My family is very important to me, if someone is going to join my family; they need to have healthy relationship with theirs.
I am a total goofball, so he will need to be able to put up with me just being me. Not only put up with me being me, but not be intimidated by it. He will also need to be able to laugh at himself. I think this is a big one too. Even bigger that it was 2.5 years ago when I wrote this.
I need a guy that loves to be outside. I am usually happier being outside than in. I need someone who will go camping and hiking with me, go fishing with my family. This is one of the things that really makes me happy.
Hugs are huge in my life. I measure my week by how many hugs I can get in a week. My future spouse will need to hug me A LOT!! I cannot live with out hugs.
I need a man that isn’t uptight about some things, drinking being one. I like a glass of wine or beer with dinner. But I don’t want him to be all about going out and getting plastered. He also can’t be a smoker! I can’t stand that smell. Smoking is a total turn off… it’s just gross people!!
Chivalry cannot be dead to my future husband – opening doors for people, scooting out chairs, walking girls to their cars. I see it in many of the men around me and I desire my spouse to be that way.
I need a man that will dance with me. I love to dance – even if it’s just being really silly. I want to be that crazy couple that dance in the kitchen – totally embarrassing the kids. My maternal grandparents do this from time to time and it amazes me.
I used to have something in here about height - I've come to discover, while it is nice it's not important.
Now accepting applications for Prince Charming.
No comments:
Post a Comment