Sometimes I wonder about why we take Communion in church. Is it because we're supposed to, it's just a meaningless ritual that we go through each week? Or is it so very much more?
I believe that most Christians would say that taking Communion is so very much more than a legalistic ritual. It is a beautiful time that we get to go before the face of God and be in union with Him.
This week my church performed a song by the Robbie Seay Band called "Tasting Forgiveness" and the lyrics were totally a kick in the gut.
Beautiful, honest, heartfelt words - but they were not the words that really kicked me in the gut, these were:
I have to say that in my life I tend towards legalism, and works based faith. My natural tendency is to act as if I put in my time that God will be happy with me so then the act of Communion loses its beauty in those moments. The beauty is shown in the words of the chorus of the song:
Communion is always supposed to be a reminder that we are sinful people, and we have a God who loved us so very much that He sent His Son to earth to be the sacrifice that would cover our sins through his death on the cross. Everything we have been given we don't deserve. There is nothing we can do in ourselves to earn God's favor - yet every day we can taste God's amazing forgiveness, drink deeply of His mercy, and feast on the redemption that was bought for us through the blood of Jesus Christ. How easily I forget that.
This song brought me to tears in a way that I haven't experienced in a while (I think not since Laura Story's "Blessings") and it is something that I need to be reminded of daily. Because of my many sins - chief among them is unforgiveness - Jesus came and died to cover them. But not just my many sins, but the many sins of every one around me, and every one around them, and everyone in this world. So who am I to deny someone the chance to drink of forgiveness? Who am I to deny anyone mercy? Who am I to get in the way of redemption? Communion is a time to allow the truth of what Jesus did impact our hearts fully. It is more than a duty, it is an invitation to taste forgiveness. And in tasting forgiveness it is an opportunity for us to go out and share forgiveness with others.
Hopefully I am able to hold on to this truth - in a way that will keep the legalism out of Communion. There is a link to a version of the song on youtube so that you can listen to it as well.
I believe that most Christians would say that taking Communion is so very much more than a legalistic ritual. It is a beautiful time that we get to go before the face of God and be in union with Him.
This week my church performed a song by the Robbie Seay Band called "Tasting Forgiveness" and the lyrics were totally a kick in the gut.
I’m pleading my innocence here
Exposing my arrogance all the while
Hoping that nobody sees
Especially You
I've yielded to all that has cost me
And thrown to the side what is free
And I’m lying if I say that I've figured it out
Beautiful, honest, heartfelt words - but they were not the words that really kicked me in the gut, these were:
But maybe this time
The bread and the wine
Will be more than food on my lips
I have to say that in my life I tend towards legalism, and works based faith. My natural tendency is to act as if I put in my time that God will be happy with me so then the act of Communion loses its beauty in those moments. The beauty is shown in the words of the chorus of the song:
I’m tasting forgiveness
And drinking of mercy
I feast on redemption
Tasting forgiveness
Communion is always supposed to be a reminder that we are sinful people, and we have a God who loved us so very much that He sent His Son to earth to be the sacrifice that would cover our sins through his death on the cross. Everything we have been given we don't deserve. There is nothing we can do in ourselves to earn God's favor - yet every day we can taste God's amazing forgiveness, drink deeply of His mercy, and feast on the redemption that was bought for us through the blood of Jesus Christ. How easily I forget that.
This song brought me to tears in a way that I haven't experienced in a while (I think not since Laura Story's "Blessings") and it is something that I need to be reminded of daily. Because of my many sins - chief among them is unforgiveness - Jesus came and died to cover them. But not just my many sins, but the many sins of every one around me, and every one around them, and everyone in this world. So who am I to deny someone the chance to drink of forgiveness? Who am I to deny anyone mercy? Who am I to get in the way of redemption? Communion is a time to allow the truth of what Jesus did impact our hearts fully. It is more than a duty, it is an invitation to taste forgiveness. And in tasting forgiveness it is an opportunity for us to go out and share forgiveness with others.
Hopefully I am able to hold on to this truth - in a way that will keep the legalism out of Communion. There is a link to a version of the song on youtube so that you can listen to it as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment