August 12, 2006

shoes

I was performing my "big sisterly duties" this evening - and was feeling rather out of place. Thing 2 had a football dealie for mom dad and me to attend. When I visit my high school I tend to look at the floor (high school was not the greatest 4 years of my life.)

This looking down made me curious. I started looking at peoples' shoes. Everything from moms in pumps to flip-flops to sneakers adorned the feet of the mothers around me. Most of the dads in sandals or sneakers. I started to wonder what do shoes tell us about peoples' personalities?

Of course I had to be thinking about this as I was wearing my most obnoxious pair of shoes - yellow converse all stars. To top off I was wearing what I call my watermelon socks. And if you know me it fits. Bright colors and defiantly not the norm. Especially when it comes to stuff like "socially acceptable outfits."?

So what can we tell about people by the shoes they wear? Are the girls walking in the mall in those obsenely high pumps high maintenence? The Girls in jeans and sneakers the athletic type?

But if you look close you find that in many ways they do. Just like my yellow shoes fit my personality. But I'm not a skater - I am a nerd. Usually the thought about converses (and vans) is that the people that wear them are either punks or skaters.

As much fun as the people upstairs in the family and consumer science department are - they are often a lot more fun to make fun of (I'm talking what they wear not the people). I know that they are the fashion queens of the university - but honestly some of the shoes are obserd to wear walking across campus. I belong to the "rock people" or the "basement rats" we're all about comfort. Half the time we show up to class in our slippers. But everyday some of the dolls from upstairs will come in to our student room in their pumps and buy our food - we don't complain about the buying of food - but I have a feeling they smirk at our lack of fashion sense (Honestly slippers and sweats in public - gross!). I know we laugh at their lack of common sense. (Walking across campus i n 3-inch heels - OUCH!)

So do shoes really tell us anything about a person? Or is it a combination of their whole appearance? Or is it something completely different? I guess that is still what I am pondering - any thoughts on the topic are welcome.

No comments: