June 20, 2009

It's Tough Being A Woman...

This summer I am doing Beth Moore's study on Esther to guide my daily God time. The sub title is the title of this blog. Each week there will be a scenario about how it is tough being a woman that will be the focus of the week. I'm not saying I'll write each week - but this one really connected with me, as well as connecting a little with my GAMe study for the week.

It's tough being a woman in another woman's shadow.

How totally true is that? As women we are constantly compairing ourselves to other women. We aren't as pretty as so-and-so. We aren't as athletic as such-and-such. It is TOUGH being a women when there are so many versions of worldly perfection out there. One of the biggest problems with being a woman is other women.

In Esther we talk about Queen Vashti and her beauty. A supermodel of her day. I am not in the habit of comparing my beauty to people in the media - however I know some of my friends do. How would it be to have the most powerful woman in the known world also be the most beautiful? How inatiquate would most women feel that are just living day to day.

I start looking at the shadows I compare myself too. Where do I feel like I fall short. I look at the women that know the Bible like the back of thier hands - and even though I was brought up in the Church, I don't know the Bible like that - and that is a shadow I feel like I am in. (On a side note, my goal with this Esther study is to start to shrink that shadow.) There are other shadows - but those might come out at a later time.

This week my Temptation study for GAMe is about what do we do to change how people see us or what do we do to try to get people to percieve us in a specific light. The link I made between the two studies is because of the shadows we see around us, we want people to see us a certain way. The more we focus on the shadows, the more likely we are going to worry about how people percieve us.

So as women - what can we do to not be slaves to the shadows we place on ourselves or live in bondage to the opinions of other women? It's tough being a woman!

No comments: