February 20, 2010

So Far, So Bad

It has been interesting being with out facebook these past 3 days. It's amazing how much facebook was mostly habit - hopping on my computer checking email and facebook.

Not that I'm doing well with making that time more productive - I am just more aware of how much time was wasted on facebook. I am trying to be more productive, I've gotten a good chunk of the book I'm trying to finish up and get back to the library read. I suppose that is more mentally stimulating than facebook.

I am discovering that I miss the ease of "communication"... or rather keeping tabs on people with out actually communicating with them. If I want to know how someone is doing I have to ask them - be it with a text, an email, or (heaven forbid) a phone call. But I have to open the door for communication.

I look at my students and how much they rely on this form of non-communication. What is our society coming to? We are raising a generation of facebook stalkers... It's sad really...

I am not saying that my fast for lent will become a permanent removal from the site. I've just had a few days to let it sink in how dependent I am on facebook - and allow myself to conclude that I am not okay with that.

No comments: