April 15, 2010

Children Where Are Your Parents...

... and why aren't they doing their job??

I have been having one heck of a time with my kids this week. They have been bouncing off the walls and hanging from the rafters. (Not literally of course) Trying to contact parents has been more than difficult. The language barrier is difficult enough - but when I do get a parent that speaks English and get responses that they to are at their wits end with the child I can't help but wonder what the parent has actually tried.

Now, if I had done something like the kids in my class have been doing and my parents had been called by my teacher, my backside would have been hurting.

So many of the problems I am facing wouldn't be there if the parents DISCIPLINED their children. I think the problem for so many student/teacher relationships is that the parents haven't instilled a healthy respect for adults in their children. The children get away with everything at home and then when at school they expect that trend to continue. When they get a teacher like me who has very high expectations of all her students and hands nothing to them on a platter of any kind (hey you have to EARN your grade kiddo) they get mouthy and bitey and all sorts of unflattering things expecting me to cave to their will. (Ha, good luck with that little one...) It's just so stinking frustrating.

It is not the job of the education system to make your child into the person you want them to be. It is not my job to make your child have the proper respect for authority. They are YOUR children. YOU have to parent them which means YOU have to show them how YOU want THEM to act!! Basically YOU have to act the way YOU want YOUR CHILDREN to act. Children grow up and most likely become like their parents. Be the person you want your child to become!!

Okay, end rant.

No comments: