July 5, 2012

Eulogy

So, I figured I need to do this. 

It has been a very difficult week for me and my family.  Last Saturday we lost a wonderful friend of nearly 15 years.  Our lovely chocolate lab Cessna.


Cessna was a Christmas gift to the family back in 1997,  I was 13 and in seventh grade. (Okay any of my students who might be stalking me you can figure out how old I am now)  She didn't officially join our household until January.  I remember the whimpering and whining of a puppy pulled away from her mother.  When we first got her she was so little, she had such adorable wrinkles on her nose. 

But, as all dogs do, she grew, and we became her people.  She would check in on us as we were sleeping, she loved car rides, there always was the (thump thump thump) of her tail as we walked in the house.  She never forgot any of us kids, even after we went away to college or moved out.  She loved it when we were all home.  She hated it when we fought and yelled.  I remember when Pete and I would yell at each other, she would get in between us and try to calm us down.

Cessna was probably the best judge of character in our family.  She tolerated nearly everyone, but you could tell who she really loved.  I think many times I should have noticed her judgement of people and trusted that rather than my own.

The house is a lot more quiet with out her, and times I think I hear her breathing.  She was a dearly loved dog.  She can never be replaced - only remembered.

Cessna, you were the best.  Even when you were naughty.  I promise never to forget and you will always have a very special place in my heart.  (November 27, 1997 - June 30, 2012)

1 comment:

Joyce Boike said...

Love! She was a very dear part of your family, and overall a really "good dog." She and Fiona bonded over walks in the last few years, and she was always willing to give of her love. She was certainly very special, and will be remembered always. Excellent eulogy, Kristin. I love you!