July 10, 2012

I Hate Politics

Okay, not going to lie, I kinda hate election years.  Not because I am unthankful for the chance to participate in our government process, don't get me wrong, I am very glad that I get to have a say in our government as an adult US citizen, but I hate them because of how mean it makes people.

I live this every election year with my extended family.  I have family members that are both extreme conservatives and extreme liberals, and it sucks because neither of them are nice to the other side. Seriously family (and friends and others that fit this) hear me out!!


You are a person, uniquely you.  You came to your beliefs in a specific way and for a specific reason.  And that is awesome! Now the people on the other side of the table are also unique individuals who came to their conclusions in a specific way and for a specific reason. IT DOES NOT MAKE THEM STUPID OR UNEDUCATED OR ANYTHING ELSE!! It just makes them DIFFERENT!! I am SICK and TIRED of reading on my facebook and twitter feeds about how stupid someone is if they don't like this or that!!  I have hidden posts in the past, even if I agreed with the message, but because of the the way it was presented it offended me.

I am a unique individual, I am an education individual, I am an intelligent individual, and I have come to my conclusions in a way that is specific to me and for reasons that are important to me.  And I hate it when people say lump me into "that" category and then assume that I am not a unique, educated, intelligent individual. I hate it when people do that to other people, just because they believe something different politically.

So, all of that to say this - be kind on facebook and twitter.  Being mean and nasty to people who believe differently than you do is not going to win people to your side - if that is what you are going for.  And it reflects poorly on YOU not on them. 

No comments: