August 12, 2010

Back to School

It seems that my material to rant about diminishes greatly over the summer. I am still alive, and getting my classroom presentable. It's been a long week that started on Tuesday, and it's only Thursday... I hope to survive this... (yes I know I will, but it's difficult to feel that assured.)

I have a feeling that my rant this year will be about the new grading system. We are to grade them on what they know, not how well they show what they know. This boggles my mind, they aren't being graded on the end product. Or, if they slack at the beginning of the unit and "show up" for the test - show mastery on the test - I am supposed to give them a "good grade". How on God's green earth did they earn a "good grade"??? They have been nothing but a thorn in my side all quarter/semester/year, haven't done half the work, yet they get a "proficient" on the test therefore they get a B??

Or what about that student that WORKS THEIR BACKSIDE OFF and still cannot grasp the material?? I have to give them a D even though they worked so hard??

If we are truly honest, who would maintain their job? The one that doesn't do half of their required tasks, or the one that works very hard and just takes longer to achieve mastery?

I see both sides of the argument - it is a "truer measure" of a person's ability. But at the same time we are allowing for the kind of work ethic in our children that PISSES ME OFF TO NO END when I see it in my co-workers. It is rewarding laziness. It gives no incentive for a student to do the work and develop those work habits that employers are going to desire in their employees...

I keep thinking that every time people try to "fix" the educational system they just end up breaking it more... I think we need to maybe start over? Start with a different approach to education. Like not every student can learn in a classroom environment, and not every student can learn the same things. Every child deserves an education, yes. But not every child can have the SAME education. I think that it needs to be easier for students to have their learning and behavior styles evaluated and be placed accordingly... If a student needs a stricter environment than I can provide to learn - it needs to be available and accessible to them.

The cuts that are being made to education make no sense to me. It has long been proven that smaller class sizes and increased interaction is beneficial for all student learning. So, why are schools having to choose between keeping teachers and having enough money to run the building??

I don't have the answers... I wish I did. I wish I could fix the education system... but I can't. However I can't help but think that if I pose the questions, there is someone out there with the answer.

Okay, that's enough rabbit trailing for now. I think I've confused myself, so I have no idea how well someone reading this is going to be able to follow...

Until I have time to sit down and think again,
Skits

No comments: