May 20, 2011

Strength for Today


Today is my last day of students for the 2010-2011 school year.  And I have to say that this year is ending differently than all others have.  I have learned a lot about leaning into the Source of Strength, and it is very clear this week how much strength He has to give me.  

I am a very strong willed person, which is a good thing when working with strong willed children – and let’s face it, most junior high students are strong willed.  But when I rely on the strength of my will to get me through the day I end up burnt out, tired, crabby, and some days just hating my life, my job, and my students.  Not somewhere you want to be when you make your living working with kids.

I have a tendency to rely on God’s strength for a short time, then return to my own strength until I burn out again (it’s a very cyclical thing.)  I really wanted this week to be different.  I didn’t want to go out despising most of my kids, like I have in the past.   And this week has been amazing. 
I’ve woken up every morning, and before I even made it out from under the covers, I submitted my day to God.  And have resubmitted several times throughout the work day.  And it has made all the difference in the world.  

I have gone home every night this week tired, drained, weak, but JOYFUL!! Not only was I counting a day off days to summer vacation, but I was having good days.  I was tired, but I wasn’t shaking mad.  I was weak, but I wasn’t near tears.  My students noticed a difference in my attitude and behavior, “why are you happy miss?”  It can only be a God thing.   God gave me strength enough for each day.  He never gave me less than I needed. 

No comments: