March 21, 2006

Home? I guess that's the word

Buenos Dias. It’s rather strange being away from the group that I went to Guatemala with. I didn’t get to say good-night to them all as they sat poolside talking. It’s funny how close you get to people that you go on a trip like this one with.

Where to start talking about the trip? Then after I figure that out where to stop? The trip was amazing beyond words. To just say what we did while we were down there isn’t enough. But there are emotions that words just cannot suffice.

I was so nervous excited for the trip to start. So I was absolutely ecstatic when we finally were on the road. (This is after a slight meltdown because my mom wasn’t there to see me off, but she sent in the grandparents to do that job, so it was ok.) On the bus we were given the opportunity to get to know the people that were on the trip with us. A very good idea from Pastor Diane, since I didn’t know the ISU, U of I, or LYO people that were going with us UNIers. We got on our plane at about 2 am and we were really on our way.

Saturday morning we landed to a beautiful sunrise. After breakfast in the hotel and a quickly putting our belongings in our rooms we boarded a rickety old school bus and went to visit the children of safe passage. We got there and played with the children. It was amazing to see all these little girls (Saturday morning is girls’ club at Safe Passage) smile and really want to play with us. While we were there we met Louis, the child that the Lutheran Student Center at UNI sponsors, as well as a couple of our members who each sponsor a child got to meet theirs. That afternoon we shared a lunch with the girls. Many of them took parts of their lunch to share with siblings. These girls were given a treat eating with us and they thought of their family first. This took a while to sink in, especially coming from a place in life where I never have to worry about my next meal.

After lunch we were shown around the area of Guatemala City where the children that go to Safe Passage live – the city dump. This truly made me realize how lucky I am, I have a roof over my head that isn’t going to blow away. However, when meeting the people that lived there they greeted us with smiles. We ran into some of the girls from safe passage where we got more hugs and kisses, they introduced us to some of their neighbors and friends. It was an eye opening experience, seeing how the were happy with what they had, they didn’t need the “things” we seem to think we need.

Sunday we were up early and on a different bus (that one didn’t scare me as much) and stopped in Antigua. Once in Antigua we made headed straight to the Cathedral ruins, where amidst the ruble of the broken fortress we had worship and ate the meal together. While in Antigua we had a chance to walk around and see the culture (and do a little shopping!) After lunch at Burger King, we were back on the bus and off to Reu.

On the way to Reu, we stopped to see our farm family. Having never met them before, it was an amazing experience for me. I found myself being pulled up into a big hug and being kissed on the cheek by the mother of the family. When we pulled up we were given quite the surprise; there was a new child among them, Mindy, who we were all able to witness her baptism. After giving them the gifts we brought, and many hugs and kisses later, we were back on the road.
We started the “get down and dirty” work on Monday. We broke up into three groups, the two larger groups went to work sites to build homes for families. The smallest group stayed at the hotel to unpack and organize the gifts we brought for this area. (I was in the smallest group.) But we all went to see the different worksites. On our way to the sites we stopped by Papi’s wood shop and gave him our gift for him – saw blades.

One of our two sites was for a widow with six children and one grandchild. The stories that they told me was that the children are very eager to help with anything and everything that they could. The other is for a family of four (the husband is injured and cannot work.)

Tuesday despite blisters and bruises, hands were ready to work and bodies were ready to serve. I joined the crew at the widow’s house Monday the gang dug trenches and that day we laid the foundation. We started by mixing cement with sand and creating concrete. Hauling water up from the family well. We poured the concrete over rocks to create a firm place to build a home for this family. The work was hard, but very fulfilling.

Not that we needed a moral booster, but Wednesday we went to the beach. The beach is roughly an hour and a half bus ride away from Reu. There we all had a blast playing it the volcanic black sand. The beach was beautiful and the ocean was just the right temperature to play in. It was an amazing afternoon!

Many of us slept on the bus ride back to Reu, back at the hotel we showered and headed back to the Dardon’s for yet another amazing meal. Mami, Papi, and family are really spoiling us. And we are so thankful for them. The power went out while we were eating dinner, we didn’t get power back until about 10 pm. It was kind of cool eating dinner and then having devotions in the dark.

Thursday we continued to work at our sites. At devotion we started talking about the things that we did and the things that we’ve seen that has touched us the most. It was really hard to imagine that we only had one day left in Reu, still is for that matter. We accomplished so much, yet we all feel that there is still so much we can do. We saw the joy that the families show as we work on their homes. We saw the fruits of our labors.

Friday night we had a fiesta at Casa de Dardon. There was a marimba band and much dancing. We also had our last meal there. I haven’t talked to anyone that did not have an amazing time. I had a very difficult time saying good-bye to Mami and Papi. But life is that way, and we must say good-bye.

We had our final worship, our group split and some remained in Guatemala for another week. Where once there were strangers, now we have a family. I came to view the people that I have worked along side, shared moments and tears with as my brothers and sisters. Saying good-bye Monday morning as we pull into the Lutheran Student Center was one of the hardest things I had to do all week.

So that’s just an overview. There is so much more to it then that – and if you want to know about it, just ask me. I will try my best to put into words every emotion that I felt. I cannot imaging not going again next spring break.

No comments: