April 21, 2012

Meditations on Ezekiel 33

So, as I was reading Ezekiel for my daily study I really allowed myself to ponder what that section of scripture was saying.  (see Ezekiel 33:1-20)

I was intrigued by the metaphor of watchmen.  How God had made Ezekiel a watchman over the people of Israel.  And how if Ezekiel didn't warn the Israelites about what was coming, they would die in their sins and the guilt of their deaths would be on his head.  And if he warned them and they still did not repent, they would die in their sins but Ezekiel would be free of the guilt of their deaths.

Later, starting in verse 10 God is talking about how past righteousness will not save a person who has become wicked.  Likewise past wickedness will not condemn those who turn to God.

Putting that into today's context for Believers - how are we owning our job as watchmen?

Do we watch over our brothers and sisters?  Do we rebuke them in a spirit of gentleness when we see them do wrong, like Paul tells the Church to do in Galatians 6?  Or are we allowing our brothers and sisters to fall into the trap of sin (and maybe even falling into that trap ourselves)?

Likewise, do we bring the message to the lost?  We, who know the Good News of the Gospel, are we bringing that light into the dark places of our neighborhoods?  Or, should the spiritual deaths of those around us be weighing on us?

I know I am far below stellar - even probably below satisfactory - in both regards.  And so much of the time it doesn't even register with my mind how poorly I am living.  And as this is coming to light Paul's scolding of the Hebrews about still needing milk when they should have progressed to solid foods really hits home.  I am a Christian, have been my entire life, but in many ways I still need milk rather than solid food.  I revert back to my "me-centered, works-based" version of the Gospel - and that is what I tend to show to the world. 

I know that God is revealing to me and working on these areas of my life through the communities I am in and there is growth.  This becomes a part of the Redemption story He is giving me.  And yet, even as I am typing this, I am trying to figure out how I can change what I am seeing in me that I don't like.  I can change nothing in myself by myself.  Change has to come from the Holy Spirit.  I know this, I understand what this is supposed to look like (I say as I point towards my head), but I don't truly know or understand (points to heart). 

God never promised us a turbulent free ride, or even a smooth landing.  It is so difficult to see how God is growing, shaping and molding me while He is doing it.  I often feel annoyed and frustrated at His hand.  But I am reminded of the riddle in the Growth story from Max Lucado's Tell Me The Secrets... well dang, I can't find it... I am going to have to come back and add the riddle in - but the gist of it is growth is painful, difficult, and annoying while you are experiencing it, but beautiful once completed.

So, there is a summary of the things I've been pondering as I've been meditating on God's word.  Funny, how even now as I am wrapping up this entry, there's still more to ponder. 

Shalom!

No comments: