This time last year I moved out of UNI and back in with my parents' for student teaching. I was not the happiest with this situation, but it was better than not having a place to student teach and postpone my graduation yet another semester - that was a whole other story. I remember the relief and anguish I felt in my Rock Island, IL placement.
I student spent my first half of student teaching at the high school, not really liking it. It solidified my desire to look for a junior high placement. The teacher and I had different styles of doing things... and the way the material was taught wouldn't have been my choice for a class like that... but I digress, I lived through it - and learned a lot.
My second half was spent at one of the junior highs in the area. I LOVED it!! The teacher was amazing to work with! I loved the age group. I know I'm crazy, but I was happy.
During this time I went to an educator expo (a career fair for teachers) at UNI. That is where I first heard of the Omaha Public School District. Even then I did not think that they would be my future employer.
The 2008 Graduates
It was about this time when I started talking to Pastor Eric about spending part of my summer at Camp Shalom. I knew I couldn't spend the entire summer at home with both Thing 1 and Thing 2 home. The summer before was TERRIBLE!! (My biggest push for applying to student teach internationally) So I came on as unofficial staff and figured out some Nature stuff to do at camp! I loved it!! This also reminded me of my dream... to have an outdoor classroom - to be able to teach conservation and environmental stewardship. Hopefully this path remains possible.
After not hearing ANYTHING from Clinton after my interviews there - I interviewed with OPS. I enjoyed my first 'visit' to Omaha. I was offered my choice of the jobs - and I picked one.
During the summer my family hosted a 'student' from Spain. Agustin was the 'adult' leader of the group that came. We really enjoyed having him. 'Agus' and Thing 1 helped me make the move across the great state of Iowa to Omaha. It was difficult to leave Iowa, but since they didn't offer me a job I had to go.
After the move my family went to AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I had fun - but was disappointed in the lack of places to glean information for educators (which was my main reason for agreeing to go in the first place). I had the most fun looking at the WWII era airplanes. My favorite was the SB2C Helldiver - The guy was great. He really knew the plane, the stats about it, and how rare it is. He also was cool enough to take a picture with Lawndart.
School started shortly after I got back from AirVenture. I spent a very busy August, September, and early October focusing only on school stuff. At this point I realized that I was very lonely and becoming increasingly depressed. As much as I am an indipendent character - I still need people. I was lacking in people at this time - no friends to call and say 'hey lets go bowling' like I did at UNI. I was beginning to regret graduating (not really but I wanted to be back at UNI like nobody's business)
It's amazing what God does when you give the issue to him. I had no energy to continue looking for friends on my own. I was physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually exhausted. I went to a science teacher conference, walked along a river and gave the whole thing to God. I asked Him to smack me in the face with the answer and he did (well, not literally but he used one of my vices - red lights). He brought me to Rejoice Lutheran Church and Great Adventure Ministries. It was exactly what I needed (duh, this is God we're talking about... His answers are always perfect).
Let's see what else...
Danish Cooking Weekend = Amazingness!! My family heratige and how proud we are of it is a blast! mmm KRINGLE!! (GOOFI DANES ARE BETTER!!)
I spent my 24th birthday much the same way I spent my 23rd - watching Thing 1 play basketball.
Other then that it has been School, Church, and GAMe (with the occasional Jitterbug evening). These have been emence blessings.
That is my 2008 review... some things stick out more clearly in my mind... other things just seem to be a blur...
God Bless! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!


No comments:
Post a Comment